HomeFaqSamplesGearRatesAboutDIY
 

 

 


Other DIY microphone preamp projects

Comments?  Send me an email!

April 2008 - Here are a few pictures of another project I did recently.  This is a racked pair of Stevenson Interface Electronics Channel Strips.  They have a stock Beyer Dynamics input transformer and I used some Tamura output transformers (from a PM1000).  I'm using a 28Vdc linear power supply (adjusted to 30Vdc output) for the boards, and a separate 48Vdc switching supply for the phantom power.

Front view  Rear view

A view of the guts  Close-up of the opamp and output capacitor mod

July 2008 - And here's a couple pictures of the second racking I did.  These were a couple model 200's.  I ended up removing the high-shelf and low-shelf parts of the circuit as I could not get it to work properly, stripping it down to just the preamp. Coupled with some output transformers (the only labels say "Creation") that I harvested from a LightWave A/D converter (used in video editing?).  The new owner said it really sounded good on electric guitar. 

 

 

August 2008 - Well, this is the third pair and I think they turned out really nice.  They are a pair of Model 104K strips.  I placed the line-in jack on the front this time and rewired the #4 red blender button as the +48v phantom power toggle switch.  I used the same output trannies as the second pair.

 

 

DIY Studio Monitor Stands

July 2008 - I decided to build some monitor stands.  Unfortunately after I built them, I realized they would not really fit where I wanted to place them, so I ended up selling them really cheap on the local Craigslist.  Oh well.  Here's some ideas though incase you want to try it.  I found all the parts at Lowes:

15" dia. and ~1" thick round, Pine discs - about $7ea
3" thick walled PVC - about $13
Four 3" toilet flanges - about $4/ea
1 bag play sand - about $4
2-3 cans flat black spray paint & primer - $3/ea
Tube clear silicone caulk - $3
Misc nuts & bolts - $5
PVC glue - $5

I centered the flanges on the wooden discs and marked the holes for the nuts & bolts for both the top and bottom.  Then I applied primer and sanded the wooden parts.  Next I cut my PVC to the height I wanted and used some of the purple PVC glue to attach the PVC to the bottom flange.  Then I mounted the flange to the bottom disc.  I used a little silicone caulk to seal it.

Next, I glued the top flange in place, then I filled the PVC with play sand (that's why I recommended some caulk earlier too).  This gives the stand some weight (mass) which will help keep it from tipping over as well as hopefully keep the low end tight.  Once that is done, then attach the top wooden disc (also use caulk to seal it).   When its all dry, spray everything with the flat black spray paint.  I also cut a little Rubbermaid shelf liner and put it on the top of the stands.  You could easily use square cuts of plywood or larger diameter PVC for this project too.

      

My other DIY projects:

Yamaha PM1000

Sub-kick Project

Bass Traps Project

 
 

Last updated 04/06/2013